Update for LCSWs - Reporting Requirements Under New Gun Law
March 6, 2013
The following information is important to know as the New York State Safe Act goes into effect in mid-March.
- The State Office of Mental Health (OMH) is responsible for the implementation of the NY Safe Act requirements for mental health professionals, specifically LCSWs in social work. Beginning March 16, LCSWs will be required to report clients who are of imminent danger to themselves or others, regardless of the setting in which they work.
- The law does not specify LMSWs as required reporters, even when under the supervision of a LCSW or another mental health professional who is required to report. (This may be clarified further in the future.)
- Reporting will be done through a secure on-line form that is being prepared by OMH. It is not yet available on their website.
- The outcome of a report is that the State Division of Criminal Services will determine whether the reported individual has applied for or has a registered firearm. (It is noted that many successful suicides are accomplished as a result of access to a gun.)
- OMH has developed a Q&A, which can be linked to from this page. This document should be thoroughly reviewed, and OMH tells us that it will be updated over time. For more information, please click here.
- OMH will be holding a webcast for all mental health professionals on March 12, time and access information to be determined. The webcast will then be archived and available at any time after that. For more information, please check here.
Back to main page.