Governor Cuomo Signs Law Mandating Continuing Education for Licensed Social Workers
October 24, 2013
Albany, NY: New York has joined every other state in requiring continuing education for licensed social workers. The law goes into effect on January 1, 2015.
As a member of NASW, we want you to be the first to know about this requirement. NASW-NYC will keep members informed of further developments and details.
Here are the basics about the mandate:
- Requires 36 Hours of continuing education credits over 3-year period.
- New license holders will be exempt until after first license renewal.
- Accumulating continuing education hours before the effective date is not likely to be counted.
- The State Education Department is now responsible for interpreting the requirements of the law through
crafting regulations and implementing the law.
- Technically this is Chapter 443 of the laws of 2013, Assembly bill A6703-A, same as Senate bill S4637.
NASW-NYC will be offering many opportunities for obtaining continuing education hours, at a substantial discount for NASW members.
Click here to see our previous article on continuing education being mandated in New York:
Click here to access the legislation passed by the Assembly and Senate.