Federal Economic Stimulus Program
NYC Residents Eligible for Tax Benefits
Recently, NASW-NYC was invited to a meeting held at the United Way of New York City to discuss ways to spread the word about the Economic Stimulus Package (ESP), a new tax benefit. Over 500,000 New York City residents who do not normally file federal tax returns may be eligible to receive $300 or more as part of the federal economic stimulus package – but only if they file a federal tax return. These individuals include recipients of social security, veterans with disabilities, widows of veterans with disabilities, and low-income or self-employed workers who do not normally file. NASW-NYC members are encouraged to disseminate information about these benefits to clients and eligible individuals, using the following methods:
• Putting information in newsletters and other materials.
• Hosting an event where the information can be shared.
• Reaching out to elected officials and union representatives to ensure that they have the right information and are sharing it with their constituents.
• Connecting with your local media – papers, radio and television stations.
• Training staff members that are working with eligible people on the ESP.
• Emailing members or colleague organizations, as appropriate.
• Engaging Community Boards.
• Sharing information with Home Health Aides and other home care agencies to reach home bound seniors.
Additional information can be found at the IRS website: www.irs.gov or the Dept of Consumer Affairs’ website:
Darrell Weinberg, Senior Tax Specialist, IRS, can answer questions you may have and can be reached at 212-436-1025 or Darrell.firstname.lastname@example.org.